This month, Buzz Marketing Group reached out to thousands of Millennials from all over the nation the determine Generation Y’s approach to relationships and family values. Though there has been a lot of speculation as to this generation’s opinions on the matter, we found a few interesting results.
There seems to be a pretty significant split in Millennials’ views on marriage as a whole, as over half (53%) of respondents state that marriage is incredible important to them while 40% state that they respect the institution and are open to it but that it does not define a relationship.
The remaining 7% state that marriage is not really important to them but that they have nothing against the institution.
The majority (76%) of respondents believe that same-sex couples should have the right to get married. The remaining 24% are split evenly between being against the belief and being indifferent toward the issue.
We also asked survey participants about their own relationships.
Although 93% are willing to date someone who has different religious beliefs, 36% of all respondents added a caveat stating that it depends on how different the beliefs are. Only 7% of respondents state that they are absolutely not wiling to date someone who has different religious beliefs.
Despite the common assertions regarding Millennials’ careless attitudes toward relationships, only 23% of respondents state that they approach relationships as just “something to do for fun.” 86% strongly consider future well being when making decisions about relationships.
Generation Y also seems to evaluate others’ opinions when it comes to personal relationships. One fourth (25%) of respondents state that family is extremely influential in their decision to date someone, while almost half (49%) state that family is somewhat influential.
Along the same vein, 19% of Millennials reveal that friends are extremely influential in dating decisions and 55%state that friends are somewhat influential.
To find out more, click here to read our latest report on Millennials!
- Posted by Shilpa Soundararajan
- On November 25, 2013
- 0 Comments